Advent is the time of the year where we celebrate the arrival of Jesus into the world, the arrival of the King, and look forward to His return. It is a great time when you can plan on spending family time. Schedule it on your calendar and guard this family time. You and your children will always remember it!
Advent is celebrated four Sunday before Christmas and then on Christmas Eve. Each Sunday evening and Christmas Eve, you and your family light a candle, read a Scripture passage about the birth of Jesus, and do something family related to celebrate Christ’s coming.
Week 1 = Sunday, November 29, 2015
Week 2 = Sunday, December 6, 2015
Week 3 = Sunday, December 13, 2015
Week 4 = Sunday, December 20, 2015
Christmas Eve, Thursday December 24, 2015
Make or buy an advent wreath with five candles. You can use colors of your choice, but traditionally it is with three purple, one pink and one white candle.
- Light the first candle.
- Read Luke 1:26-48 about Christ’s birth foretold.
- Prayer: Have one family member say a prayer to thank God for promising to send Jesus to rescue us from our sins.
- Activity Idea: Make a scroll Christmas ornament proclaiming “JESUS IS COMING”. Take a 3 x 5 inch piece of paper and write ” JESUS IS COMING” Isaiah 9:6, roll the two short edges on a pencil. Punch a hole and and hang it on the tree as a family.
Build on it – Make a movie. Use Luke 1:26-48, let the kids act out the passages. Use your video camera or smart phone to make a keep sake production!
- Sing a Christmas Song: O Come, O Come Emmanuel
- Light the first candle and the second.
- Read Luke 2:1-7 about Christ being born.
- Prayer: Have one family member say a prayer to thank God for sending Jesus to be born as a baby who would save us from our sins.
- Activity Idea: Get a small basket or similar item that fits inside your manger. Each time your child/children does something kind for one another add a piece of straw for the manger to make Jesus a soft bed.
Build on it: Drive around town and look at the Christmas lights. For older children make a copy of a scavenger hunt worksheet found here and check off what you find! Be sure to listen to Christmas Music have some hot cocoa!
- Sing a Christmas Song: Away in a Manger
- Light the first, second, and third candles.
- Read Luke 2:8-20 about Christ’s Coming.
- Prayer: Have one family member say a prayer to thank God for sending angels to share the News of Jesus’ birth to sinners just like us.
- Activity Idea: Make a paper plate angel with hand prints for wings. Instructions can be found here.
Build on it: Go to the highest point you can find and yell “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
- Sing a Christmas Song: Hark the Herald Angels Sing
- Light the first, second, third, and fourth candles.
- Read Matthew 1:18-25 about Christ’s birth.
- Prayer: Have one family member say a prayer to praise God and ask Him to show people of all nations the Good News that Jesus came to save sinners.
- Activity Idea: Make a small gift for delivering while caroling- possible ideas are cookies or small loaves of bread.
Build on it: Go caroling as a family and visit neighbors or family members and wish them a merry Christmas. You could even bring a small gift you have made.
- Sing some Christmas Songs: Joy to the World and Silent Night
- Light the all the candles.
- Read Matthew 2:1-12 about the Wisemen visiting Jesus.
- Prayer: Have one person pray, thanking God for His incredible faithfulness in sending Jesus to save His people from their sins.
- Activity Idea: Have a birthday party for Jesus! Include a birthday cake and singing Happy Birthday to Jesus.
- Sing some of your favorite Christmas Songs.
Ideas to Deepen you Family Advent Time.
- Focus on the Family Meaningful Christmas Ideas
- The Village Church – Advent plan
- Christ Centered Family freebies
- Family worship -Mary did you know?
Willow Point Baptist Church is committed to encouraging strong families. Let Christmas 2014 be one of the best you have ever had. Come to one of our worship services if you are looking for a church home. We are located near Cross Lake on 5500 South Lakeshore Drive, Shreveport, La 71119